Using the existing tank top, bulkhead or hopper sides, SPS Overlay can be applied to repair, strengthen and improve bulk carrier structures, extending operating lives faster than crop and replace. The new SPS structures are highly resistant to grab and cargo damage.
Repair duration is highly predictable and faster. Projects can be accelerated by running several teams in parallel. Adjacent fuel and bunker tanks require gas-freeing, but do not need cleaning and parallel repair work can continue in all adjacent spaces.
For the ship superintendent, an SPS Overlay repair leads to:
• A highly cost-effective repair
• Potential to extend a ship’s economic life
• A flat, stiff, impact resistant new tank top
• No need to clean adjacent fuel tanks, saving valuable time
• Substantial time savings reduce off-hire time and docking costs
• Predictable project duration allows improved planning
• Easier cargo handling and cleaning post-repair
• Ability to carry out or continue repairs on a repair quay
According to Klaveness project manager Sverre Grønn, repair of the two vessels in Malta saved the company a substantial sum of money and has effectively extended the life of the two 18-year-old vessels by at least ten years.